Polycrystalline vs Monocrystalline PV modules for your solar system
Currently, there are two common types of PV panels on the market for solar power system, the Polycrystalline PV module and Monocrystalline PV module. Each type of PV module has its own characteristics as follow:
Monocrystalline PV panels or modules:
- Identifying characteristics: black, uniform color; The chamfered angular cells produce the rhombus between the cells.
- Advantages: High efficiency, long-term efficiency, long life, effective operation even when the sun is weak.
- Disadvantages: High cost, operating less efficient than polycrystalline module when temperature is high.
Polycrystalline PV panels or module:
- Identifying characteristics: Dark green; The cell are arranged close to each other.
- Advantages: Lower price,resistant to high temperaturer.
- Disadvantages: Lower efficiency, shorter life span.
For Vietnam, the application of solar power in central and southern Vietnam, the solar energy is good but the investment potential for solar power system is not high because of the cost. Therefore, the selection of poly PV module that fit the pocket money and no need a PV module that should generate good power when the sun is weak.